Sharing Files on google drive is the best feature for official work. Important files are more safely and flexibly shared with anyone in short period. Files will just give them the access to download and read. They cannot directly save to their drive, But however, they can reupload. Sometimes, you will need to update the file which is already shared with the group of people. Instead of sharing it again you can update shared file on google drive. Similarly here is the way to set expiration dates for shared Google Drive files.
Why set expiration dates for shared google drive files
Usually, we share files with different kinds of people for different use. Mostly on office use and commercial sake, we will share many numbers of files. Not all the time you need to care about the expiry date or update the shared file on Google drive. Mostly for commercial sharing, there will be some need to set expiration dates for shared google drive files.
For suppose, you had to share some project or details with some client. If the that was very confidential and is too important to you, You can set the expiration date for that file to be expired by some date. From that certain date, your client or friend will no more have access to the shared file.
Set Expiration Dates for Shared Google Drive Files
Officially Google drive won’t let you set expiration dates for shared files. To do so you must be a paid Google app user for work accounts. But no worries, you can still make set expiration dates for shared google drive files. However, you can also set expiry date for non shared files aswell.
Here is a way to set expiry dates to files by web app to access your Google Drive.
- click here, to authorize with the web app to access your Google Drive.
- Give permissions to the App so that it can have a right to make changes on your Google Drive.
- Then, Open the file picker and pick up the file or any folder you would like to share with someone.
- Normally, enter the emails of those with whom you wanna share the files.
- Finally, You can see a option to specify the time period to get expired after that.
- Click “set expiration” button to end
You can set time period like hours, days and weeks. After you click on the expiration button the file will auto-expire after the time period you have set it.